Charter School Application
Kindergarten, First, and Second Grades
Anyone living in the City of St. Louis is allowed to apply to our Charter School program; however, for the past two years we have filled our Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grades during the first lottery from the 1st catchment zone and did not need to hold a lottery for our 2nd catchment applicants. We expect to fill our school from the 1st catchment area each year, although you are welcome to apply as long as you reside in the City of St. Louis. The 1st catchment zone is in south St. Louis City, from Kingshighway (western boundary) to Grand (eastern boundary), from Highway 40 (northern boundary) to Magnolia (southern boundary). This is roughly the 63110 ZIP code although there are a few residences with a different zip code who are in the 1st catchment zone. Please check the map or call the school if you are unsure about whether you are in the 1st catchment.
Listed below are the steps to take when considering an application to City Garden’s Charter School. We ask that all parents complete these steps to ensure our program is a good fit for your family and so that we can be as fair as possible when admitting new students to our school. The deadline for applications for the 2020-2021 Lottery for the Charter Program is February 27, 2020 and the Lottery is to be held at the school on March 13, 2020 at 5:30 pm. (and is open to the public).
- Find out if you are in the “1st catchment zone.” (see map above)
- Review the website and application materials.
- Visit the school by attending a Tour. These are listed as “Tour- Prospective Parents” on our calendar.
- Submit application and all supporting documents. (Applications will not be considered until all forms are complete, including supporting documents.) Required documents are:
- The child’s original birth certificate
- The child’s up-to-date immunization and health records
- Two original proofs of residency. These should be originals, not copies (gas bill, electric bill, cable bill, for example). Please mail them to the school or drop them off with your child’s name written clearly on each bill. (Alternately, two of your utility companies can email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your residency.)
- Parent’s original Photo ID
You can bring forms in to the school or mail them to:
City Garden Admissions and School Secretary 1618 Tower Grove Ave St. Louis, MO 63110 Attn: Charter School application materials
- Because so many documents must be originals, you are welcome to bring them in person, have them immediately processed, and take them home again. If originals must be mailed, you can pick them up in person at your convenience.
- The Primary and K-2 applications are different. Go here for the Primary application.
- The Charter School application must be completed online (click “Apply” below). Call the school for assistance completing the application if needed.
- Make sure to review the application before hitting “submit.”
- Schedule an observation to see inside a classroom in the Spring semester. Email email@example.com
- Contact City Garden to make sure all forms have been received at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kindergarten families will be informed of their acceptance by Friday, March 13, 2020. The lottery will be held on Friday, March 13, 2020. The lottery is open to the public and begins at 5:30 p.m.
- First and second grade families will be notified of their acceptance if there are openings. We often do not know about openings in 1st and 2nd grade until the start of the school year.